Thursday, March 7, 2019

Snohomish: a new ale trail and PBJ in acan

The attractive town of Snohomish, Wash., about a dozen miles east of Everett, has gone from no breweries to six in just that many years.  I've visited each of them and posted my notes here.  When I read a story in Northwest Brewing News about ale trail programs in other areas in the region, such as those in Bend, Bellingham, the South Puget Sound, and the Inland Empire, I was keen to check out the new Snohomish Ale Trail.
I started at Sound to Summit Brewing, still operating in the same business park off Bickford Ave.  The doctor and dentist couple who launched this brewery have sold it to the folks who own Lost Canoe Brewing, the next nearest and next oldest brewery in the town.
I took an ale trail program to Lost Canoe after collecting one stamp at S2S.  I was happy to see Lost Canoe was fermenting in sturdy metal tanks now (the last time they were using plastic tanks they had to hang in chains from the ceiling).  Here I had a pint of peanut butter porter, and then noticed a new mini-crowler machine that could fill 16-oz cans.  How cool is that!  A pint for here, a pint to take home.  The bartender said she could pour a blend right in the can, half peanut butter porter and half raspberry wheat ale.  Two stamps and a conversation can to take home.

I checked into a B&B a couple miles out of the town and took a nap, time to metabolize the intake. Later, restored, I checked in at the Spada Family Brewery's taproom, in the downtown area, for one of their signature sours, and then out to Haywire Brewing, still in the old dairy farm barn. Supper was a burrito from Ixtapa and a pint of Loose Rooster at Sno-town Brewing, all at the same corner on 2nd St. Hot IPA made with the peppers Frank's mother grows down in Arizona.
The sixth brewery here, Scuffypunk, was not open in my time frame so will have to bring my dance card back there another time. 
(Visited 02/10/19)



No comments:

Post a Comment